Thursday, June 05, 2008

Phipps Conservatory shut out and Photoshop overload

OK, I'll admit it. I'm a Photoshop geek. But I have reason to be, I've been using the program (off and on) since version 2.0. Macs, back in those days, were self contained beige boxes with five inch black and white screens. A far cry from the dual 23" cinema displays I use today.

Just because I've used the program so long do I consider myself an "expert" user? NO WAY! This program is SO deep I don't even scratch the surface. I know just enough of the workings to get lost playing around for hours at a time.

Megan and Matthew wanted to be photographed at Phipps Conservatory for their engagement session. Unfortunately the folks at Phipps only allow professionals to make photos if they pay -- $200 for 45 minutes. They also only allow you in one room -- of their choosing. Of course, if you want to take pictures of the flowers and don't look like you know what you're doing (or don't have fancy camera equipment) you can do whatever you want (within reason). Oh, and membership does NOT have any privilege in this matter.

So we did the next best thing and shoot around outside. No fees involved.

The weather was a bit shaky -- dark clouds, steel sky, overall yuck. But, with a little imagination and a bit of Photoshop pixie dust ; ) a pretty cool picture was born. My only regret is I didn't save a screen shot showing all the layers involved -- there were a LOT of them! But in the end, the vision for this image came through.


Color version. Maybe a bit surreal?


Sepia option. More of the mood I had in my minds eye.

PS. I know some in the photo community believe in the "better to ask forgiveness than be denied permission" motto. I'm not one of them. I try very hard to play by the rules. It was how I was raised. But that's a debate (rant) for another day...

No comments: