Friday, October 09, 2009

It's all in the prep

Someone asked me, "what's prepping?" Good question! If you don't understand 'photo-speak,' prepping means what you do to get ready for your upcoming shoot -- all the stuff you prepare to be ready for anything and everything. In my case today I'm prepping for a wedding. This is what I did / am doing...


Unpack my primary case of cameras and lenses, clean lenses, check CF cards -- 6-16 gig cards; 8-8 gig cards, check cameras (3 primary, 5D/5DMarkII; 2 back up, 1DMKII), time sync all bodies so the photos can be put later into sequence without tearing out my hair. Put camera batteries on charge. Repack case.


Open lighting case, pull out all gear, pack new umbrellas purchased on Thursday, re-pack all stuff, charge flash batteries, wait, wait, wait for batteries to charge. Charge more batteries. Wait, wait, wait. Pull out all Pocket Wizards and check. Charge batteries.... Pace. Look out window, raining, dang. Think about all the shots I want to take after ceremony. Bring out another camera case and pack more gear -- tilt / shift lenses; super speed lenses, macro lenses. Look out window, not raining. Yeah! Put more batteries on charge. Wait, wait, wait, pace. Quadruple check directions to brides house. Check Google Maps for umpteenth time. Pace. Think about lighting for group shots, reception, etc. Pack stands in car. Charge more batteries (you can never have enough of those things). Add some last minute items to my Bride Emergency Kit (more on that later). Pull change from pocket (don't need change rattling around at a wedding. Toss change in piggy bank. Pace some more. Zip up main camera case after one last check. Zip up secondary camera case. Unzip secondary camera case, add one more item. Re-zip and set in line for packing into car. Charge last four batteries. Check lighting kit. Again. Finally ready for packing in car. Open up all cases, just once more before leaving...


Obsessive? Yeah, it is, but once I leave the studio I'm committed to doing the job with nothing more than I have with me so I must to be as careful (obsessive) as possible not to forget that simple looking widget that could spell the difference between an awesome shot and no shot.


Hope you enjoyed my prep. Now I must go and pace some more...

No comments: